This Morning has been nominated for best daytime show at the National Television Awards (NTAs) despite months of scandal following Phillip Schofield’s departure and rumours of a “toxic” environment on the show.
Schofield, 61, resigned from ITV in May after admitting to an “unwise but not illegal” relationship with a younger male colleague on the show. He was also dropped by his agent, and as an ambassador for The Prince’s Trust.
An external review over Schofield’s departure from This Morning and claims of toxicity and bullying behind the scenes is now understood to be in process.
This Morning will be defending its title after scooping the trophy last year, despite the “queuegate” controversy at the time over claims Schofield and Holly Willoughby jumped the line to see Queen Elizabeth 11 lying in state (they both denied the claims).
It will defend its title in the daytime category against The Chase, Loose Women and The Repair Shop.
Meanwhile Schofield’s former co-presenter, Holly Willoughby, and who has continued to present the show with a series of co-stars, has missed out on a best presenter nomination for a second year running.
Instead, Alison Hammond – who has seen her presenting roster on the show expand since Schofield’s departure – has received a nod for the coveted award.
Hammond will be up against Ant & Dec, Bradley Walsh, Martin Lewis and Claudia Winkleman.
Ant & Dec have won the prize a whopping 21 times in a row, but Winkleman is favourite to win this year following the success of The Traitors (which is also up for best reality competition).
Perennially popular, McPartlin and Donnelly are also in the running for the Bruce Forsyth entertainment award with two nominations, I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! and Saturday Night Takeaway.
There are two touching posthumous nominations, with Paul O’Grady’s For The Love Of Dogs up for best factual entertainment show and Dame Deborah James’ Bowelbabe In Her Own Words up for best authored documentary.
For The Love Of Dogs is up against Clarkson’s Farm, Stacey Solomon’s Sort Your Life Out and The Martin Lewis Money Show Live.
While Bowelbabe In Her Own Words will take on Lewis Capaldi’s How I’m Feeling Now, Matt Willis: Fighting Addiction and Rob Burrow: Living With MND.
In a new category this year, Piers Morgan is nominated for the TV interview prize for Piers Morgan Uncensored on Talk TV, alongside Louis Theroux Interviews…, The Chris & Rosie Ramsey Show and The Graham Norton Show.
Just one man is nominated in the drama performance category – James Norton – who is up against his Happy Valley co-star and Sarah Lancashire, Vera’s Brenda Blethyn and Call the Midwife’s Judy Parfitt, as well as India Amarteifio for her role in Bridgerton prequel Queen Charlotte.
The Happy Valley finale – which was a national watercooler moment – is also in the running for the returning drama prize, alongside Stranger Things, Call The Midwife and Vera.
Click to subscribe to Backstage wherever you get your podcasts
The son of late reality star Jade Goody, Bobby Brazier, is nominated in the newcomer category for his role as Freddie Slater in EastEnders, alongside Benjamin Chivers for The Devil’s Hour, Channique Sterling-Brown for Coronation Street and Emmerdale’s Lewis Cope.
Brazier has recently been announced as a contestant on the forthcoming Strictly Come Dancing series.
Sky’s Brassic, Ted Lasso on Apple TV+, E4’s Young Sheldon and BBC’s Ghosts are all up for best comedy.
Billed as “television’s biggest night of the year,” the NTAs are voted for by the public, with winners announced at the ceremony hosted by Joel Dommett at The O2 on Tuesday 5 September.
Full list of NTA nominations
1. Beyond Paradise
2. Blue Lights
3. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
1. Love Island
2. Race Across the World
3. SAS: Who Dares Wins
4. The Traitors
1. Deborah James: Bowelbabe in Her Own Words
2. Lewis Capaldi: How I’m Feeling Now
3. Matt Willis: Fighting Addiction
4. Rob Burrow: Living with MND
1. Call the Midwife
2. Happy Valley
3. Stranger Things
1. Alison Hammond
2. Ant & Dec
3. Bradley Walsh
4. Claudia Winkleman
5. Martin Lewis
1. Clarkson’s Farm
2. Paul O’Grady: For The Love Of Dogs
3. Sort Your Life Out
4. The Martin Lewis Money Show Live
1. Brenda Blethyn, DCI Vera Stanhope, Vera
2. India Amarteifio, Young Queen Charlotte, Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
3. James Norton, Tommy Lee Royce, Happy Valley
4. Judy Parfitt, Sister Monica Joan, Call The Midwife
5. Sarah Lancashire, Catherine Cawood, Happy Valley
The Bruce Forsyth Entertainment Award
1. Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway
3. I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!
4. The Masked Singer
1. Coronation Street
1. Louis Theroux Interviews…
2. Piers Morgan Uncensored
3. The Chris & Rosie Ramsey Show
4. The Graham Norton Show
Serial Drama Performance
1. Charlotte Jordan, Daisy Midgeley, Coronation Street
2. Danielle Harold, Lola Pearce-Brown, EastEnders
3. Dominic Brunt, Paddy Kirk, Emmerdale
4. Maureen Lipman, Evelyn Plummer, Coronation Street
Quiz Game Show
1. Michael McIntyre’s The Wheel
2. Richard Osman’s House Of Games
3. The 1% Club
4. The Chase Celebrity Special
1. Benjamin Chivers, Isaac, The Devil’s Hour
2. Bobby Brazier, Freddie Slater, EastEnders
3. Channique Sterling-Brown, Dee-Dee Bailey, Coronation Street
4. Lewis Cope, Nicky Milligan, Emmerdale
1. Loose Women
2. The Chase
3. The Repair Shop
4. This Morning
3. Ted Lasso
4. Young Sheldon
1. Britain’s Got Talent
2. Strictly Come Dancing
3. The Great British Bake Off
4. The Great British Sewing Bee
#Morning #NTA #Phillip #Schofield #scandal #Holly #Willoughby #snubbed #presenter #category #Ents #Arts #News